Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Crappy Housewife Tip of the Day

Whenever possible, use the same dish for preparing and serving food. Unless your fancy aunt is coming over for dinner, I don't think anyone is going to care if you serve your rice in the pot it was cooked in, or if you just move the crock from the crockpot to the table when it's time to serve the food.

On a related note: Whenever possible, use the same dish for preparing and eating food. For example, I make my morning coffee with a one-cup coffee maker that brews the coffee directly into my mug. No pot to wash! And I make my smoothies in wide-mouth mason quart jars, which serve triple duty. The measurements on the side save me using a measuring cup, the wide mouth lets me use my immersion blender rather than dirtying my big, cumbersome countertop blender, and when it's all done, I can just drink straight out of the jar like a giant cup!

2 comments:

  1. You can also (theoretically) screw the blender bottom to the mason jar and use it like a magic bullet, which lessens the chances of throwing smoothie everywhere with the immersion blender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa, that's so cool! I just tried it, and I can totally screw a regular mouth mason jar onto my blender base. I'll have to try it out tomorrow!

      The only drawback I can think of (assuming it works) is that my immersion blender is one thing to wash (and it's really simple to wash - just wipe down the outside with a sponge and whir the blades around in a dish of water), whereas my blender, even without the pitcher and lid, still has at least three parts to wash (blade part, screw-on part, washer part).

      I love this idea, though. I am falling more and more in love with mason jars every day. Sometimes the old-fangled ideas really were so much better!

      Delete